Mushroom Soup – Kaalaan Soup
- 225 g White Mushrooms (around 12 mushrooms)
- 1/2 finely chopped Onion (I used red onion)
- 1 small Tomato
- 1 Garlic clove, minced
- 1″ fresh Ginger root, minced
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped Cilantro (Coriander leaves, kottha malli, hara dhaniya)
- 1/2 tsp Sesame oil (I use Iddhiyam Gingelly oil/Sesame oil/Nallennai)
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp. Turmeric Powder (Manjal thool/Haldi)
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds (Jeera/seeragam)
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 cup Water
- *** Optional ***
- 1/2 tsp. Coriander powder (Malli thool/Dhaniya powder) [Optional]
- 1/2 tsp. Red Chilli powder (Milahai thool/Lal mirchi powder) [Optional]
How’s winter in your city? Brrrrrrr… it is piercing cold in the place I live brrrrr…rrrrr….. To arrest such winter cold, cough and the shivering, I have in hand 5-minute Quick and Easy Soup recipes . This Simple Mushroom Soup recipe (Kaalaan Soup) is the mirror-mirror of my famous Indian Style Chicken Soup recipe, except that, chicken is replaced by Mushrooms. When I say it’s a 5-minute soup recipe, I mean it, okay! A spicy, thin mushroom soup that is made WITHOUT using butter or cream or milk or maida (all-pourpose flour) or cheese.
Before demonstrating how to make a Spicy Mushroom Soup, let me throw you a simple question. What makes a recipe to sound and taste like South-Indian? I would say, it is the Nalla ennai/Sesame oil/Gingelly Oil. Yes. When an Indian recipe demands sesame oil, you can easily guess that the recipe is from the state of Tamilnadu. At home, we use Idhayam Nallennai (Iddhiyam Sesame oil/Idhayyam Gingelly oil) , be it for poriyal or tempering the chutneys or gravies, especially the non-vegetarian varuval recipes (non-veg fry) and more importantly for soups. We add few drops of gingelly oil while making thin soups, like this kalaan soup, kozhi soup, mutton soup (aatu kaal soup) etc. Adding sesame oil gives a beautiful flavor to the soup and makes it taste utter Restaurant style! No, I’m not exaggerating. Find the readers’ praises in the comment section of my Tamilnadu Restaurant Style Chicken Soup recipe. The reader says, ‘After having it I felt the same taste as I could have from any popular chettinad chain such as Anjappar or Karaikudi’
Slurp..sneeze out the cold…slurp…sneeze out the cold….slurrrppp…..
Watch Video to see How to make Quick, easy and simple Mushroom Soup recipe at home
3Ts [ Tips | Tricks | Tactics and Secrets ] to make Mushroom Soup recipe in South-Indian Style
- Adding Coriander powder (malli thool/dhaniya powder) in this mushroom soup is completely optional. When you serve the soup, add little more freshly chopped cilantro.
- You can cut off using red chilli powder too. Instead, when you serve the soup, add in little more freshly ground black pepper. This way you can reduce the color of the mushroom soup.
- You may use 1/4 tsp. of bottled ginger-garlic paste instead of freshly minced ginger and garlic. However I recommend you using freshly minced ginger and garlic, for they give a nice sharpness and flavor to this mushroom soup or to any soup recipe.
- Mix the soup in the bowl gently before you sip every spoon, since the ground pepper and cumin tend to settle at the bottom of the bowl. Like the black pepper, you can also crush the cumin seeds in order to infuse its flavor nicely.
- If you have fresh curry leaves with you, add 4 or 5 curry leaves. This enhances the aroma of this mushroom soup and makes it taste pakka Tamilnadu Style Mushroom Soup.
mmmnnnhhhh…. look at the meaty mushrooms! Serve and drink when it’s hot.
Mangala from Cooking.Jingalala.Org
Eat Well !